what is therapeutic massage?
Pain, discomfort, tension, and stress are, unfortunately, commonplace at some point in the life of a modern human. Causes range from acute current injuries, disease, chronic postural compensations, and normal life stress. Therapeutic massage is any type of massage modality that helps relieve pain, reduce stress, and create positive structural change in the body. Therapeutic massage does not necessarily mean deep tissue massage. Deep tissue is helpful for breaking down adhesions and increasing circulation, but it may not be appropriate for every issue or state of mind on a particular day.
Chelsey will work with you to create a treatment plan that is appropriate and beneficial for your body and currently presenting problem areas. She also believes deeply in preventative healthcare and maintenance massage sessions.
Types of Therapeutic Massage
Chelsey Swan, LMT uses several types of therapeutic massage in addition to deep tissue massage, such as:
- Neuromuscular Therapy
- Myofascial Release
- Trigger Point Therapy
Massage has been shown to:
- Increase local circulation
- Improve immune-system function
- Reduce muskuloskeletal pain/discomfort/tension
- Breaks the "pain-spasm-pain" cycle associated with chronic pain
- Improve posture
- Decrease stress hormones
- Increase parasympathetic state and happy hormones (seratonin, oxytocin)
- Improve gastrointestinal activity
- Decrease depression
- Improve quality of sleep
- Reduce recovery time post-op
- Encourage general health awareness
*Chelsey offers massage in-office in Kirkland as well as provides home-visits to families in the greater Seattle area, Eastside, and South Snohomish county.